Sunday, October 15, 2006

Oct 15

Sunday Oct 15
Woke up feeling not very well at all... My slight cough from yesterday had become a violent cough. And I had thought the cough was maybe just irritation from sitting around too many chain smoking Yemenis in a closed-off mafraj's, but I guess not... I canceled class with Faris and basically just slept. I was sleeping when I was awoke at about 4pm by "RYANNN! RYAAAN! RYAAAN!" from someone shouting really loudly from outside (I live on the third floor) and also pounding on the door knocker... It really threw me off guard, and I scrambled around trying to find my glasses. I recognized that the voice was Ismail's and I was looking at my windows fir him but I couldn't see him. I then scrambled down stairs in my pajamas to open the door, and sure enough it was Ismail. I had turned off my phone earlier, so I wouldn't be awoken. I hadn't predicted someone coming to my house shouting my name. He asked me how I was, and said we could have class at his house tonight at 8pm like last week, since he missed the lesson yesterday. I agreed, if only cause I was still have asleep and we said bye. I turned my phone on at the point, and at around 5:30 Matt called me to let him in the house because he still didn't have a key. Said his first day was alright, mostly just orientation type stuff. We ended up going out to break the fast a little later than usual. Back to the 2nd Floor Shaky place. The three Yemenis sitting at the table next to us kept gesturing for us to come join them to eat, which is also pretty common, but we just thanked them and waited for our normal chicken and rice meal. Well, turns out they just brought us one huge plate of rice, and said there was no chicken now... I also asked for tea, which I never got. So really it was a horribly unsatisfying meal of just a big plate of rice. The three Yemenis told us to go to another restaurant after this one for the chicken, although we didn't end up doing that. When they left they gave us their vegetable dish, bread and other leftovers. We returned back to the house for a bit. Sandra called Matt to invite me along to Al-Shallal tonight for her fairwell meal before she left for Germany tomorrow. They were to meet at 8:45... I said I'd go, although I was also supposed to have class at 8 at Ismail's... But I really wasn't feeling up for going all the way to Ismail's and sitting around while he chain smokes for 3 hours when I am sick with a sore throat and constant cough, so I texted him and told him I still wasn't feeling up for it. Matt headed out for Sandra's goodbye dinner, and I told him to say bye for me, and sorry I couldn't make it. Then I just ended up going to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home