Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Sept 13

Sept 13 Wednesday Today... Got up really early at 6:30 because I wanted to try the Skype-to-phone thing again, maybe when it is less busy in the morning. But the 'good/fast' internet cafe wasn't open... The first class was good, we reviewed from yesterday and covered some more news headlines. After class I went to the store near the school to buy some water and talked to the teenage kid who works there a little bit. His names Hassan and he's really nice, when I thought I didn't have the right amount for the water he said "no problem, pay me tomorrow" then a guy, Abdul Lilah, who lives near the store was walking by and started talking to me in English. He almost didn't believe me when I told him I was from America... That seems to be somewhat common, most people are just surprised that an American would come here, I guess. He asked me how I liked Yemen, and I told him it is nice but that I don't know where anything is, and then he offered to take me to buy a cell phone after my next class. I went back to the student house and went up to the mafraj, the sitting room at the top of most of the houses here, and watched some Arabic news while I did my homework. Went to my next class which consists of half an hour of conversation and then analyzing a text for meaning and grammar. He is a pretty good teacher from what I've seen so far. He seems to know what he is doing at least. Then he offered to have class with me (also Marcus too, but individually) tomorrow, even though it is the weekend here. Maybe the institute pays him more, but I don't think I will pay anything additional. Means more homework of course. After class I returned to that store to meet Abdul Lilah, but Hassan said he wasn't there right now. So instead I hung out at the store for a little over an hour talking with Hassan about Yemen, the elections, soccer, and whatever. Even he says that Isma'il is the best teacher at the institute, and I guess Isma'il is the father of one of Hassan's friends. They know everyone in their neighborhood. Who they are, where the work, lots of things. Then Abdul Lilah showed up and he drove me out to get a cell phone in the electronics area. He was with his uncle and cousin and they were on there way to a wedding. We found a cheap phone a Nokia for about $50, but I had to have a copy of my passport to activate it, which I didn't know. But he said he would take me to the store again tomorrow, and then we would go to the wedding of one of his best friends. Hassan invited me to the same wedding earlier when I was with him. At least with one class tomorrow, and a wedding to go to in the evening I won't be too bored on the first day of the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home