Monday, October 16, 2006

Oct 16

Monday Oct 16
Slept nearly straight from 8pm to 8am... Woke up briefly and went back to sleep until past noon. I wasn't going to fast when I am sick, so I was drinking all the water I had in sight. I went up stairs to the mafraj to lay around and watch some tv. I brought my Mawaaz ("Man Skirt") to use as a blanket, and just drifted in and out of sleep upstairs. At some point the Italian guy came up and said goodbye, I guess he was flying back to Italy tonight. Seems like he had just arrived. I barely ever saw him, and honestly only got the chance to talk to him on the day he arrived, and the day he left. By the time the fast break came, I was hungry but didn't really feel like eating anything... Ended up going back down to my room for a few hours until about 8pm when I went out for the two falafels at the cheap falafel place... I bundled myself up nicely, since I feel colder than usual. Only ate one and a half of though and threw the other half on the ground (I feel so apprehensive about littering, but you just don't find garbage cans here... And I guess it is adapting to a Yemeni lifestyle). After that I headed off to the internet cafe to email my Mom so she wouldn't think I was dead, or kidnapped. At this point I barely had a voice, it was so hoarse from coughing. So I decided I needed to stop off at the Pharmacy. I just went in and told him I was sick, and give me whatever will help me... He gave me some Neo-Codion syrup a cough suppressant, and some Sedergine fizzy water dissolvable tablets for pain and flu-like symptoms I guess... I have never heard of either of them, but didn't really care as long as it helped. I was feeling pretty miserable at this point, the sickest I have been for a while actually. The medicine cost me 600 riyals ($3). After that I went to that Anti-America Tea Shop around the corner hoping that the warm drink would sooth my throat from all the coughing. Then I visited my friend at the store to pick up some milk for my cereal, so I wouldn't have to leave when I wanted to eat, as well as some orange juice for the vitamin C. Came back took my medicine and then went up to the mafraj to watch some bad English language movies, such as Black Knight with Martin Lawrence, where he gets sent back to medievel times. I did notice the medicine helped with the cough, at the least, althought I still sound like death.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home